[unisog] Blocking Windows Networking at the Border?

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Tue Apr 23 21:10:09 GMT 2002

We've been blocking those ports for years, and we haven't
had a single complaint that I can recall.  When Win2k came
out, we added 445 TCP/UDP to the list.  As a result, we
haven't experienced any of the problems that you refer to.

IMO, the Windows networking environment is far too fragile
to expose it to the Internet.

--On Thursday, April 18, 2002 2:04 PM -0400
Phil.Rodrigues at uconn.edu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The University of Connecticut experienced all the fun
> Windows hacks of the  last few weeks that everyone else
> did ("Got Warez?" XDCC bots,  W32Time/FluxaySensor
> Trojan/Password crackers, MIRC-DOS scripts), all  pretty
> much as a result of allowing Windows Networking across
> our Internet  link.  With 8,500 students and a few
> thousand staff computers on the  network *someone* will
> have a weak share.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Supervisor of Support Services
The University of Texas at Dallas