[unisog] Ideas on Detecting Proxy Use?

Andrew Cormack A.Cormack at ukerna.ac.uk
Thu Apr 25 07:58:32 GMT 2002

Squid used to append its name to that of the browser in the user-agent HTTP
header (it's a couple of years since I ran a squid though). To see that at a
firewall you need to be able to look inside the packet, but it should be
easily available to the server (or your inbound proxy). I'm not aware of any
difference at the TCP or IP layers

HTH
Andrew