[unisog] Brilliant/Kazaa [Was: Comments???]

Anderson Johnston andy at umbc.edu
Wed Apr 3 14:56:27 GMT 2002

If I followed the article correctly, the Kazaa agreement (click "I Agree")
has been amended to include agreement to enslave your computer to
Brilliant without any compensation.  From the article:

=09However, people who accept "terms of service" already distributed
=09with Brilliant's and Kazaa's software are already agreeing to let
=09their computers be used without any payment at all.

=09"You hereby grant (Brilliant) the right to access and use the
=09unused computing power and storage space on your computer/s and/or
=09Internet access or bandwidth for the aggregation of content and
=09use in distributed computing," the terms of service read. "The
=09user acknowledges and authorizes this use without the right of
=09compensation."

So, if a bright young hacker has a node of Brilliant's "distributed
computing" network on the desk, what exciting new possibilities present
themselves?

=09=09=09=09=09- andy

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Rita Seplowitz Saltz wrote:

> I am perplexed as to how a customer of any ISP (or, more to the point,
> someone with a connection to a campus network) is empowered to authorize =
use
> of available bandwidth by some other entity.    There is implicit
> authorization  for bandwidth use affiliated with any file-sharing mechani=
sm,
> even "of the old school."  But the inference I draw from Borland's articl=
> is that the potential for bandwidth-drain with Brilliant Digital's scheme=
 is
> far greater.
>
> The "about us" page of Brilliant's web site describes the company as:
>
> "A creative mesh of designers, animators, programmers, and entrepreneurs,
> BDE=B9s reason for being is web-delivered 3D animation. We create the
> technology that makes eye-catching 3D on the web a reality, create the
> content, and syndicate our popular webisodes, web videos and banner ads. =
"

> A quick glance at their "press room" titles at:
>
> http://www.brilliantdigital.com/press.asp
>
> reveals no mention of Kazaa or of the concept discussed in the Borland
> article.   So apparently the concept is not worthy of their own press
> release at this time.  Or I missed something.  (Either is possible!)
>
> Rita Saltz
> Policy and Security Advisor
> Office of Information Technology (OIT)
> Princeton University
> rita at princeton.edu

---
** Andy Johnston (andy at umbc.edu)          *            pager: 410-678-8949 =
 **
** Manager of IT Security                 * PGP key:(afj2002) 4096/8448B056=
 **
** Office of Information Technology, UMBC *   4A B4 96 64 D9 B6 EF E3 21 9A=
 **
** 410-455-2583 (v)/410-455-1065 (f)      *   46 1A 37 11 F5 6C 84 48 B0 56=
 **