[unisog] Personal Firewalls

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Wed Apr 3 17:34:29 GMT 2002

	While we aren't at present recommending these (we are looking at them)
you may want to have a look at www.alphashield.com. This is a hardware firewall
(like a linksys box). Its claim to fame is that it is configurationless. It
only allows connections that are started from the user's machine (still allowing
the user to shoot themselves in the foot). It rejects all external connections
(thus no PtoP connections, no web servers etc). After some period of no
activity from the user machine it "disconnects" which is to say it stops
passing traffic in to the user machine but does continue to answer DHCP requests
from the provider to keep the DHCP address even when it isn't passing traffic
to the user's machine. Its an interesting concept in that it reduces the
users ability to misconfigure it so as to remove the protection (and as a
bonus doesn't generate log alerts that people complain to me about as the
software firewalls do ...). The no configuration or maintance feature is
appealing to a manpower strapped University (and is there any other kind :-)).