[unisog] Brilliant/Kazaa

marchany at vt.edu marchany at vt.edu
Thu Apr 4 14:35:30 GMT 2002

> > [...] can we talk about how to block this mess?

>         Sure. Here are a few suggesions:
>
> 1) block port 1214 in your border router.

I think we're missing the real point here. We shouldn't have to put up with
software vendors who act in this manner. This type of behaviour needs to be
addressed in as many public (not e-zines or geek listservs :-)) forums i.e.,
newpapers, TV News, as possible in order to put public pressure on the vendors
and legislators (Congress/State/local) who condone this tactic. I live in VA
where UCITA is touted as an example of the technical savvy of our legislature
:-(. I'm a proponent of product liability when it comes to software but
software vendors just smile the knowing smile that they'll never be touched
because their shrink-wrapped licenses absolve them of any liability,
responsibility whatsoever.`

While the terms of the KaZaa agreement are typical:

"You hereby grant (Brilliant) the right to access and use the
	unused computing power and storage space on your computer/s and/or
	Internet access or bandwidth for the aggregation of content and
	use in distributed computing," the terms of service read. "The
	user acknowledges and authorizes this use without the right of
	compensation."

Laws like UCITA would allow a vendor to REMOVE their software from your
machine without your permission if they deem you're violating their license
agreement. See recent Computerworld issues for background info.

Anyway, just another of the things that make you go "Hmmmm.......".

	-r.