[unisog] Blocking NIGERIAN Fraud Spam

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Fri Apr 5 23:25:42 GMT 2002

I can't help you on the technical end, but on the
informative end you might find this useful:
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/tcs/techsupp/nigeria.html

It has links to the Secret Service site for reporting the
scams plus the premier 4-1-9 site on the web and to an AARP
page that explains the "pigeon drop" scam, upon which this
scam is based.

Feel free to either link it or simply "steal" the whole
page to host it locally.

--On Friday, April 05, 2002 11:56 AM -0700 Jim Dillon
<Jim.Dillon at cusys.edu> wrote:

> Have any of you been partially successful in blocking the
> various "Nigerian Petroleum" and "Banking" fraud spams
> that have been running around for awhile?  If you have
> taken any actions to block these messages rather than
> relying on simply informing the uninformed to get a clue,
> I'd like to know what it was you did, if it has been
> successful.
>
> We've had several folks contact our office about the
> messages in just the last few days, an irritating
> reflection on people's gullibility, and our local FBI
> people have indicated a number of our local
> residents/businesses/churches have lost their lunch to
> them.
>
> If you think that the sheer volume and variety of this
> sort of thing warrants not even attempting to block them,
> but rather warrants nothing more than "inform the
> populace" type messages, I'd appreciate hearing that
> opinion.  Given the number of requests for help we've
> received, I'm reluctant to give up on a technical
> solution, but if the majority thought is education is the
> only solution, I'd like to confirm that.
>
> Thanks in advance for your opinion or assistance.
>
> Jim
>
> ======================================
> Jim Dillon, CISA
> IT Audit Manager