[unisog] Blocking NIGERIAN Fraud Spam

Anderson Johnston andy at umbc.edu
Mon Apr 8 14:09:02 GMT 2002

This scam has been running for years.  From what I have been able to
discover, it started out as "fax spam" before e-mail spam was really
practical.

Since the content of the spam changes from wave to wave, text-based
filtering is a problem.  Beyond that, our standard practice at UMBC is to
avoid filtering at the mail server.

User education is the alternative.  When a wave hits, we publicize what we
know about the scam through campus mail announcements, our website, and
anything else we can think of.  It seems to create no more furor than
other spam.

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Jim Dillon wrote:

> Have any of you been partially successful in blocking the various "Nigerian
> Petroleum" and "Banking" fraud spams that have been running around for
> awhile?  If you have taken any actions to block these messages rather than
> relying on simply informing the uninformed to get a clue, I'd like to know
> what it was you did, if it has been successful.
>
> We've had several folks contact our office about the messages in just the
> last few days, an irritating reflection on people's gullibility, and our
> local FBI people have indicated a number of our local
> residents/businesses/churches have lost their lunch to them.
>
> If you think that the sheer volume and variety of this sort of thing
> warrants not even attempting to block them, but rather warrants nothing more
> than "inform the populace" type messages, I'd appreciate hearing that
> opinion.  Given the number of requests for help we've received, I'm
> reluctant to give up on a technical solution, but if the majority thought is
> education is the only solution, I'd like to confirm that.
>
> Thanks in advance for your opinion or assistance.
>
> Jim
>
> ======================================
> Jim Dillon, CISA
> IT Audit Manager
> jim.dillon at cusys.edu
> Phone: 303-492-9734
> Dept. Phone: 303-492-9730
> Fax: 303-492-9737

** Andy Johnston (andy at umbc.edu)          *            pager: 410-678-8949  **
** Manager of IT Security                 * PGP key:(afj2002) 4096/8448B056 **
** Office of Information Technology, UMBC *   4A B4 96 64 D9 B6 EF E3 21 9A **
** 410-455-2583 (v)/410-455-1065 (f)      *   46 1A 37 11 F5 6C 84 48 B0 56 **