Infected windows boxes with IRC controlled trojans on them

Dave Dittrich dittrich at cac.washington.edu
Wed Apr 10 18:55:01 GMT 2002

> BTW if anyone has any good advice on how to sniff IRC channels and
> passwords from IRC bound traffic please let me know. Ideally when I
> spot one of these I'd like to be able to watch more carefully before
> turning a system off.  Any tools for snarfing just IRC commands sort
> of like Dug Songs urlsnarf?

We were hit with the same thing.  In several cases, it was related to
DDoS attacks.  In others, distributed warez via bots using DCC.

Short answer is look at "ngrep".  I have examples of its use in the
Trinoo, Stacheldraht, and "Power" bot, DDoS analyses on my DDoS page:

	http://staff.washington.edu/dittrich/misc/ddos/

Also useful are "tcpdstat" and "tcptrace".  I am also working on a
talk to be given at CanSecWest about taking down IRC based DDoS
networks.  (Look for a link to the talk notes on my web page in early
May.)

--
Dave Dittrich                           Computing & Communications
dittrich at cac.washington.edu             University Computing Services

PGP key      http://staff.washington.edu/dittrich/pgpkey.txt