[unisog] Handling Rejected eMail Notifications

Steve VanDevender stevev at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Wed Apr 10 20:21:43 GMT 2002

E. Larry Lidz writes:
 > So, as a list administrator, I would strongly encourage people who are
 > implementing these systems to make sure that they handle mailing lists
 > in a sensible fashion.

The correct thing for such software to do is to return messages to the
envelope sender (the argument to the SMTP "MAIL From:" command), which
is typically put in a Return-Path: header on final delivery.
Unfortunately very few implementors seem to know the right thing to do,
and many incorrectly use the From: header address for their autoreplies.
This is also a problem with things like the autoresponder in Microsoft
Outlook.