[unisog] Handling Rejected eMail Notifications

William D. Colburn (aka Schlake) wcolburn at nmt.edu
Wed Apr 10 21:04:17 GMT 2002

I wrote my own milter, and I bypass this problem entirely.  People often
suggest I add notification, or offer to add it for me, but I always
refuse.

My milter scans the message and either accepts or rejects it during the
SMTP transaction.  If the message is accepted, then it continues on its
way without a problem.  The message is rejected, then the reply code for
the final "." is an error, and the remote MTA is left holding the bag
for notification.  It is much cleaner from my end, since I don't need to
attempt to locate the original sender.

--
William Colburn, "Sysprog" <wcolburn at nmt.edu>
Computer Center, New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology