[unisog] Handling Rejected eMail Notifications

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Wed Apr 10 22:38:29 GMT 2002

Answers inline.

--On Wednesday, April 10, 2002 1:26 PM -0400 Gary Flynn
<flynngn at jmu.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been experimenting with various notification methods
> and none of them have been satisfactory. I'd be interested
> in hearing how others are handling the process.
>
> Do you send notification messages about email that isn't
> delivered due to viruses or attachment types?

Yes.

> Do you change what you do depending upon whether the
> sender is internal or external?

Yes.

> Who do you send the notification to?

If sender is internal, only sender.  If sender is external,
sender and recipient.  Some lists are excluded.  Lists that
are not excluded go to postmaster at domain

> If the postmaster of the sending organization, how do you
> determine the sending organization? By the Received:
> entry's sending computer's IP address/domain?

Envelope sender

> Do you notify the apparent sender? If so, how are you
> handling  mail generated by viruses such as Klez that
> spoof all the  sender information?

Yes.  Some sender-spoofing viruses don't get a response
(Gop, for example.)  In the case of null senders, no mail
is sent.  Others, like Klez, go to envelope sender.

> What information about the blocked message do you include
> in the notification?

Sender, recipient, attachment filename, why it was blocked
and if viral, the possible identity of the virus

>Are you concerned with possible
> privacy issues particularly if the notification gets sent
> to the wrong party?

No.

> Do you notify the potential recipient(s)?

Yes, if the sender is external.

See my web page for details, including the scripts that I
use:
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/tcs/techsupp/blocks.html

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Supervisor of Support Services