Personal Firewall Mini Survey Results
Wilfred L. Camilleri, CISSP
wilfred.camilleri at utoronto.ca
Fri Apr 12 14:10:15 GMT 2002
Following are the results from the mini survey posted to this list.
There were 16 responses. Results are listed below.
Thanks to all those who took the time to respond to the posting.
Personal Firewall Mini Survey Results:
The survey asked the following two questions:
1. Does the institution recommend firewall software to its users?
a) If so, what products are recommended?
2. Does the institution provide licensed firewall software to its users?
a) If so, which firewall software is made available?
b) Is the software provided free or at cost?
c) What level of support is provided to the user?
1 1a 2 2a 2b 2c
1. Yes ZoneAlarm No -
2. Yes ZoneAlarm Yes ZoneAlarm(1) (2) Little/none
3. No No No
4. No No No
5. Yes ZoneAlarm No Little/none
6. Yes ZoneAlarm Yes ZoneAlarm Cost Little/none
7. No No No
8. Yes ZoneAlarm Yes ZoneAlarm Cost Yes
9. No ZoneAlarm No No
10. No No No
11. Yes Various No(3) Little/none
12. - Yes(4) Symantec(Win) -
13. Yes ZoneAlarm No None
14. Yes(5) Symantec No No
15. Yes(6) Various No No
16. Yes Various(7) No No
(1) Currently discussing licensing with Zone Labs.
(2) Haven't decide on whether to charge departments for the software.
(3) Evaluating wider distribution. Discussed licensing with Zone Labs.
(4) Limited pilot distribution.
(5) Personal firewalls are only recommended fir users using their computers
for extensive file sharing.
(6) Recommends purchasing BalckICE (at a discounted price) or to use the
(7) No specific recommendations.
- the users ability to understand and manage a firewall effectively
- resources required to provide support to non-technical users/neophytes
More information about the unisog