[unisog] Blocking spam in general

Michael D. Sofka sofkam at rpi.edu
Fri Apr 12 16:20:52 GMT 2002

At 08:25 PM 4/5/2002 -0400, Daniel MacKay wrote:

>My clever jr. and sr. systems programmers built a system, with the PerlMX
>engine from Active State at its heart, that tests every piece of email
>entering the university with dozens (hundreds? I haven't asked lately) of
>different spam tests (about 100 pieces per minute during a business day),
>and, if the tests indicate spam, adds a header like this:
>
>X-Is-Spam-Why:http://linus.ucis.dal.ca/cgi-bin/explain.pl?NO_REAL_NAME,SUBJ_
>HAS_SPACES,DATE_MISSING,GUARANTEE,SLIGHTLY_UNSAFE_JAVASCRIPT,CTYPE_JUST_HTML
>,DIFFERENT_REPLY_TO,SUBJ_HAS_UNIQ_ID

Very nice.  I've been testing SpamAssassin.  Any chance you'll be distributing
explain.pl.  I like the idea of putting the complete explaination in a URL,
instead of attaching it to the message.  (I've found adding attachments can
mangle messages.)

Mike

Michael Sofka                          sofkam at rpi.edu
CCT Sr. Systems Programmer  email, webmail, listproc, TeX, epistemology.
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY.    http://www.rpi.edu/~sofkam/