[unisog] sendmail TLS

Richard Hopkins Richard.Hopkins at bristol.ac.uk
Wed Apr 17 07:40:39 GMT 2002

In addition to the excellent stuff posted to the list so far, note that
there are a couple of good documents by Claus A?mann which describe the
steps. Start at...

http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/auth.html

and follow the pointer to...

http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/starttls.html

We implemented it here at Bristol in May 2001...

<http://www.bristol.ac.uk/is/services/computers/nwservices/mail/sams.html>

Richard

--On Friday, April 05, 2002 10:19 AM -0800 Steve VanDevender
<stevev at darkwing.uoregon.edu> wrote:

> Joseph Brennan writes:
>  > I disagree with the comment regarding AUTH.  Sendmail does have a
> switch  > that permits plain text AUTH conditional on the channel being
> encrypted.  > This is what we are going to do, using the unix username
> and password  > (using PAM on Solaris 8).
>
> I'd love to know how to do that.  I've had other people say that
> TLS can be made a prerequisite to authentication, but no one has
> actually described in detail how it is done and I haven't been able to
> puzzle it out from the Sendmail documentation.

Richard Hopkins,
Information Services,
Computer Centre,
University of Bristol,