[unisog] Students laptops on universities network

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Tue Apr 23 15:40:08 GMT 2002

> Hi!
>
> We have more and more students who are using their laptop on our
> network.  This situation increase the risks of computer security problems
> because we can't control what is installed and used on these machines.
>
> I would like to know if your organization has established some specific
> regulations on what is (or what is not) permitted on your network   ((e.g.
> what types of services (web, ftp, etc.) your students can activate on their
> laptops when they access your network resources)).    Also what technical
> devices are you using to avoid some type of problems.

	Our AUP applies to student laptops the same as any other device on the
network. The same Vernier box that authenticates our wireless infrastructure
also authenticates (and logs) the wired Ethernet dropin ports which provide
an RJ45 and power for laptop users. In addition we have a number of serial
dropin ports (for laptops without an Ethernet card) which authenticate via
an Annex terminal server using PPP or a serial terminal such as Hyperterm.
Those ports provide power and an RS232 connection (suitable cables can be
either purchased or borrowed from our student support facility).