[unisog] Blocking Windows Networking at the Border?

Gary Flynn flynngn at jmu.edu
Tue Apr 23 16:55:13 GMT 2002

Phil.Rodrigues at uconn.edu wrote:

> What are other schools doing to combat these types of problems?  Are many
> of you blocking Windows Networking at the border?  Do those that choose
> not to block it have compelling reasons to keep it open, or do you leave
> it open because "it has always been that way"?

Hi Phil,

We've blocked netbios as well as many of the CERT recommended services
at the Internet border since the mid-nineties. Over the years, I've only
heard one complaint. However, I suspect if we hadn't blocked it so early
and tried doing it today, it wouldn't be as easy :)

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer - Technical Services

Please R.U.N.S.A.F.E.