[unisog] Verisign trying to slam EDU domain holders?

Daniel Bidwell bidwell at andrews.edu
Tue Jan 1 13:56:33 GMT 2002

On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 11:44:09AM -0700, Richard Johnson wrote:
> Anyone else received bogus bills for .edu domains from Verispam/Notwork
> Solutions recently?
>
> Educause is running the .edu registry, and there's presently no charge.
> <http://www.educause.edu/edudomain/>
>
> However, in at least one case this does not appear to be stopping Verisign
> from sending out bogus invoices that state the .edu domain being dunned
> will be removed unless the bill is paid.
>
> This smells exactly like the "implicit authority to transfer registry"
> scams that the likes of Register.com have long run against naive .com
> domain holders.
>
> Have others run into this kind of slamming attempt by Verisign against
> their EDU domains?
>

> Richard

We received an invoice just before Christmas 2001 for the period of Sept
1989 - Sept 1991, trying to bill us for 2 years of service long in the
past.  I called them about it.  The rep seemd very suprised about the
billing and especially about the dates.  When he came back on the line
after investigating, he said that it was in error and that this kind of
billing had gone out to about 50 sites, and to just throw it away.

This kind of "mistake" really looks bad for them.

On the other hand, the web based setup from Educause is very nice and
effective.  I had a registered host with the wrong IP address that was
set up many years ago with NSI, that I have been trying to get changed
or deleted for years without success.  The Educause web setup allowed me
to correct it in minutes.

Daniel R. Bidwell	|	bidwell at andrews.edu
Andrews University	Information Technology Services
If two always agree, one of them is unnecessary
"Friends don't let friends do DOS"
"In theory, theory and practice are the same.
In practice, however, they are not."
No tema al pinguino.