[unisog] Verisign trying to slam EDU domain holders?

Ken Connelly Ken.Connelly at uni.edu
Wed Jan 2 13:19:01 GMT 2002

Daniel Bidwell wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 11:44:09AM -0700, Richard Johnson wrote:
> > Anyone else received bogus bills for .edu domains from Verispam/Notwork
> > Solutions recently?
> >
> > Educause is running the .edu registry, and there's presently no charge.
> > <http://www.educause.edu/edudomain/>
> >
> > However, in at least one case this does not appear to be stopping Verisign
> > from sending out bogus invoices that state the .edu domain being dunned
> > will be removed unless the bill is paid.
> >
> > This smells exactly like the "implicit authority to transfer registry"
> > scams that the likes of Register.com have long run against naive .com
> > domain holders.
> >
> > Have others run into this kind of slamming attempt by Verisign against
> > their EDU domains?
> >

> > Richard
> >
> We received an invoice just before Christmas 2001 for the period of Sept
> 1989 - Sept 1991, trying to bill us for 2 years of service long in the
> past.  I called them about it.  The rep seemd very suprised about the
> billing and especially about the dates.  When he came back on the line
> after investigating, he said that it was in error and that this kind of
> billing had gone out to about 50 sites, and to just throw it away.

Us, too.  50, huh??  If you believe that, I have some farm ground in
south-central Florida you might be interested in...

> This kind of "mistake" really looks bad for them.

I'd say it's situation normal for Verisign.

> On the other hand, the web based setup from Educause is very nice and
> effective.  I had a registered host with the wrong IP address that was
> set up many years ago with NSI, that I have been trying to get changed
> or deleted for years without success.  The Educause web setup allowed me
> to correct it in minutes.

We'll see.  I tried to remove a secondary nameserver on the 20th of December.
It's still listed.  Educause says they passed it on to Netsol/Verisign right
away.  I believe that, but I also am quite disturbed that the request appears
to be ignored.

Verisign...  Right up there with CA and Micro$oft...  :-(((

--
- Ken
Ken Connelly (KC152) Systems and Operations Manager, ITS - Network Services