[unisog] MyParty

Christopher Cramer chris.cramer at duke.edu
Tue Jan 29 20:42:04 GMT 2002

On Tue, 2002-01-29 at 14:26, Joseph Brennan wrote:
> An interesting point is that this is not a mime attachment.  It's a
> plain text message with a uuencoded portion.  So checks on attached
> files will not necessarily catch this.
>
> I was actually surprised to learn that people still use mail clients
> that handle uuencoded paragraphs specially.  Mine (Mulberry) doesn't.

Yes, this sent us scrambling here.  We use Amavis and McAfee to detect
and quarantine virus-infected email.  Some of the Myparty viruses were
being caught but not all - the difference being mime encoding versus a
uuencoded message in the email body.

Our local mail guru managed to come up with a one line patch to
Amavis-perl so that it catches both types of virus encoding.  He has
just posted that fix to the amavis-bugs list.  If it would be of any use
to folks here, please let me know - or check the amavis-bugs mailing
list.

-Chris

--
Christopher E. Cramer, Ph.D.