[unisog] Anyone notice an increase in scans lately

Andy Feldt feldt at nhn.ou.edu
Tue Jan 15 21:34:19 GMT 2002

Pete Hickey wrote:
> I've been seeing an increase in scanning in the past 4-5 days.
> Mostly scanning our net for port 21, but others as well.
> We've always had scans, but I would guess that their frequency has
> increased threefold in the past few days.  No patterns, coming
> from different countries, sometimes from cable/dsl lines, other
> through a hacked machine... the usual, just with an increase in
> frequency.
>
> Anyone else notice an increase?

The number of unique sources of scans to port 21 over the past several
weeks here shows maybe a small increase, but not remarkable:

Number of sources	Weeks ago
	32		0 (Partial from Saturday to now - Tuesday)
	51		1
	30		2
	41		3
	49		4
	44		5

Now, if we project this week to continue and end up at around 60, then
maybe there will be a trend!

Andy

---
Andy Feldt