[unisog] FW: Install for Dummies?

William D. Colburn (aka Schlake) wcolburn at nmt.edu
Wed Jan 16 17:48:35 GMT 2002

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 09:08:11AM -0600, Johnson, Greg wrote:
> (7) Disable services such as UPnP and IIS via these steps ...

> Item (7) is the meat.  What's the minimum secure, fool-proof instructions
> you advise?  There may be a version for each popular OS including MS Windows
> 98, ME, 2000, NT, XP, Red Hat Linux & Apple Mac.

For UNIX systems I reccommend people delete the "inetd.conf" file as a
first step, and not make a backup of it.  The lack of a backup prevents
them from reinstalling the backup and enabling everything, and thus
forces them to find someone knowledgeable to add the things they might
later discover they would like.

--
William Colburn, "Sysprog" <wcolburn at nmt.edu>
Computer Center, New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology