[unisog] Cisco VPN concentrators and AD

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Thu Jan 17 23:49:59 GMT 2002

We're using the Cisco VPN Client, and the performance has been almost
flawless.  We're only in test mode now, but we intend to roll it out and
require the Cisco client for those who want to use it.  Mac support was
supposed to be in the next release of the client.  We've got folks using
both Windows and *nix boxes to authenticate.

Are you sure you can auth against AD?  Our salesman told us that was
"coming" in the next mod of the client.  IIRC right now you can do radius
(Unix or NT) or NT Domain, but not AD, yet.  Unless they released something
after the first, I think this is still vaporware.  Again, IIRC, it was
supposed to be "first quarter 2002".

--On Friday, January 18, 2002 11:10 AM +1300 Russell Fulton
<R.FULTON at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:

> Is anyone useing Cisco VPN 3000 concentrators and authenticating
> directly against MS Active Directory.  The general CISCO blurb says it
> is possible and the sales people assure us it is possible but we can't
> find anything in the docs or the configuration.
>
> There is an option for NT Domain but we would prefer to use our campus
> wide AD service.
>
> On a more general note any experiences with the Cisco VPN gear -- what
> client software are people using on various systems.
>
> Windows Native IP Sec
> linux  freeswan
> Mac    ???
>
> --
> Russell Fulton, Computer and Network Security Officer
> The University of Auckland,  New Zealand

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Supervisor of Support Services
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member