[unisog] Packetshaper

Huba Leidenfrost huba at uidaho.edu
Sat Jan 19 08:10:54 GMT 2002

We also saw something like this happen in a couple situations when someone
generated over a couple thousands flows with spoofed loopback type SRC
addresses.  Seemed like the packetshaper was thinking those Then of course
the only recourse was to bounce the box because by then you couldn't get in
to have it "fail open."  Of course then we got serious about blocking RFC
1918 type traffic.  That was a while ago now.

I apologize to you folks not interested in the packetshaper thread.
Although probably bandwidth management is an issue dear to most of us by
now.  I did find out there is a public packetshaper mailing list that
Stanford is archiving and running here:

packeteer-edu at lists.Stanford.EDU

http://www.stanford.edu/group/networking/netlists/packeteer/index.html

-Huba at uidaho.edu