[unisog] Re: Cautionary Tale

Selden E Ball Jr SEB at LNS62.LNS.CORNELL.EDU
Tue Jan 22 21:39:44 GMT 2002

Conor wrote

> Lucy E. Lynch once said:
> > On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Conor McGrath wrote:
> >

> > > If you want to read the whole press release see
> > http://www.freemcowen.com/
> > >
> > > -Conor
> >
> > or http://www.newsbytes.com/news/02/173751.htm both of which
> > were included in my message if you read it all ;-)

> Argh!  I hate when I do that.  Thanks for pointing out my failure to
> properly read your original post.  My apologies.

Unfortunately, that is a trait that all writers have to keep
reminding themselves about. As a result, a two or three line
"executive summary" has to be at the beginning of any long or
multipart message. Those few lines have to mention all of
the important points expanded upon below.

It's nothing to beat yourself up over.
That's what many people do, including myself.

We usually don't have the time to read long messages
unless they are particularly relevant to us, so the first few
sentences have to be concise. After I write something long,
I usually find that I've written the important points somewhere
in the middle of the message, so I cut them out of there and
move them to the top. I didn't this time :-)

Selden
======
Selden E. Ball, Jr.

Cornell University                 Voice: +1-607-255-0688
Laboratory of Nuclear Studies        FAX: +1-607-255-8062
230A Wilson Synchrotron Lab         http://www.lns.cornell.edu/~seb/
Judd Falls & Dryden Road        Internet: SEB at LNS.CORNELL.EDU
Ithaca, NY, USA 14853-8001   HEPnet/SPAN: LNS62::SEB = 44284::SEB