[unisog] fw: insecure wireless LAN deployment at .edu

James Savage jsavage at YorkU.CA
Sat Jan 26 02:37:02 GMT 2002

Hi,
   I found info on these devices at:

http://www.brondertech.com/

under 'AP enclosures' at the bottom of the web-page

...thanks for the tip.  We'll be seriously looking at these.

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Matt Grover wrote:

> Daniel Poulsen wrote:
> >
> > What about physical security in a WLAN environment?   Being an urban
> > University, we have some concerns that some of our Access Points might just
> > "walk off".   We are considering plastic enclosures, but are unsure about the
> > effects on RF.   Thats not to say that a plastic enclosure could foil a
> > determined thief, but at least it would be proof of forced entry.
> >
> > I'd be interested in hearing some of the precautions other .edu's are taking
> > to physically secure their wireless devices.
> >
> > Dan Poulsen
> > UW-Milwaukee
>

> We've worked with a company to develop lockable metal enclosures for our
> access points to help prevent "walk off".  They were designed to fit the
> Cisco Aironet AP's but will work for other AP's as well.  I'm sure they would
> also be willing to modify the design if necessary.  It allows them to be
> reasonably secured but still accessible for maintenance if need be.
> If anyone is interested feel free to contact me or you can reach them
> directly through:
>
> Mike Ward
> mike at brondertech.com
>
> I tried to attach some pictures but the listserv won't pass them due to file
> size limitations but I can  get some for any who might be interested.
>
> -Matt
> --
> Matt Grover                 |  Network Services
> Sr. Network Engineer        |  University of Florida
> matt at ufl.edu                |  (352)392-2061
> http://solis.net/hitchhiker |  http://net-services.ufl.edu
>     Public PGP key at: http://www.solis.net/signature.asc

James Savage                              York University
Senior Com. Tech.                         T116 Steacie Bldg.
jsavage at yorku.ca                          4700 Keele Street
phone: 416-736-2100 ext.22605             Toronto, Ontario
fax: 416-736-5701                         M3J 1P3, CANADA