[unisog] AD and ISC Interoperability?

Anne Bennett anne at alcor.concordia.ca
Thu Jul 25 15:12:15 GMT 2002

> 1) Has anyone had any experience with a mixed (ISC DHCP & Microsoft DNS) DDNS
> implementation for Win2K AD?

Before AD, we had everything on ISC bind, non-dynamic, and would have
preferred to keep it that way, but it became clear that allowing dynamic
updates for the "underscore subdomains" is necessary for the healthy
functioning of the AD.  Since we were not about to move all of our
campus DNS service to the Microsoft machines, that left us with either
delegating the underscore subdomains to the DC, or allowing dynamic
updates for just the underscores on the ISC (v9) bind.  We tried the
first, and ran into problems, so we ended up with the second: all DNS
uses ISC bind, and we allow dynmaic updates (restricted by IP address)
to the underscore subdomains by the DCs.

The DCs log errors when we refuse their A and PTR record registrations,
which puts all kinds of annoying stop signs in the logs, but is otherwise
harmless.  DO NOT TURN OFF "register this connection", even though that
seems to be the obvious thing to do to get rid of the complaints, since
this has the side effect of preventing *all* DNS updates from the DCs.
We found this out the hard way, when "underscore" registrations turned out
to be incomplete, since some DCs had had their "register this connection"
boxes unchecked before they performed an initial registration of their
AD data, and some after; we ended up with replication problems, and
some extremely misleading error messages ("No DNS servers configured
for local system").

Anyway, I append the notes I prepared when we decided how to do this;
hope they help someone!

Anne.
--
Ms. Anne Bennett, Senior Analyst, IITS, Concordia University, Montreal H3G 1M8
anne at alcor.concordia.ca                                        +1 514 848-7606