GigE-rate PIX?

E. Larry Lidz ellidz at eridu.uchicago.edu
Fri Jul 26 21:50:05 GMT 2002

We're thinking about putting a Cisco PIX firewall in front of our
campus with very simple rule sets. Right now we drop a few ports worth
of traffic on our router, but since the router doesn't do stateful
inspection, it will drop anything that originates from one of the ports
that we drop.

Basically, we'll use the PIX to drop a relatively small number of ports
and do some simple DoS mitigation.

Does anyone have experience using a PIX under these conditions? What
about a GigE speeds? Right now we're only using PIXes at slower speeds.

Respond to me, and I'll summarize results to the list if people are
interested.

-Larry

---
E. Larry Lidz                                        Phone: (773)702-2208
Sr. Network Security Officer                         Fax:   (773)834-8444
Network Security Center, The University of Chicago
PGP: http://security.uchicago.edu/centerinfo/pgpkeys.shtml