[unisog] IRC bot outbreaks

Phil.Rodrigues at uconn.edu Phil.Rodrigues at uconn.edu
Wed Jul 31 18:15:50 GMT 2002

"Q: What tools are you using to scan for blank administrative passwords?"

Nessus is what we use for large scans, specifically using the
/Windows/"SMB Log in" and the /Windows/"Using NetBIOS to retrieve info"
plugins.  Sometimes we pre-scan for Windows shares with nmap, then pump
that list into Nessus, or we just let Nessus scan our whole range (which
feels slower to me for some reason).  It looks for username/password
combos of Administrator/<blank>, Administrator/administrator,
Guest/<blank>, and Guest/guest.

For single-client scans I have been using NBTEnum, which is a command-line
or GUI tool that runs on Windows:

http://members.cox.net/ntsleuth/

It tries all of the accounts on the computer for <blank> and
<same-as-username> as a password, and even allows you to bypass the
RestrictAnonymous setting in some cases.

I have dreams of configuring Nessus to look for Windows boxes, enumerate
all the accounts it finds, look for any in the Administrators group, then
try <blank> and <same-as-username> passwords for them, but I have not done
it yet.  Blank or weak administrative passwords on Windows computers
continue to be our largest security issue over the last few months.  Once
we finally block Windows Networking from across our Internet connection I
hope it dies down some. ;-)

Phil

PS - I got both of these tools from suggestions on this list - thanks!

Philip A. Rodrigues
Network Analyst, UITS
University of Connecticut

email: phil.rodrigues at uconn.edu