[unisog] spam-filter for Exchange/Outlook, centrally managed, user selectable

Michael D. Sofka sofkam at rpi.edu
Wed Jun 5 15:22:05 GMT 2002

I've been running tests with MIMEDefang+SpamAssassin+Razor.  MIMEDefang
is a sendmail milter.  The latest versions make using SpamAssassin easy.

Generally, you have to be careful about false positives.  Adding your own
institution to the whitelist is advised.

You may also want to check out MailScanner (http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/),
which has some anti-spam provisions (using internet black lists).  ActiveState
has a product which is also a Perl Milter.  I haven't had a chance to test this.

I am not aware of any Exchange specific products, but ActiveState does
distribute ActivePerl, which runs under windows so they may have a way
to tie this all together with Exchange.  (You could, for example, filter
all incoming mail through sendmail, taking advantage of the various
RBL's, as well as milters.)

Catching Spam is difficult.  Whatever method(s) you use, even with opt-in,
expect surprises and complaints.  But, for some users it is going to be
indispensable.

Mike

Michael Sofka                          sofkam at rpi.edu
CCT Sr. Systems Programmer  email, webmail, listproc, TeX, epistemology.
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY.    http://www.rpi.edu/~sofkam/