[unisog] Computer Registration

Doug Nelson nelson at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Wed Jun 5 18:13:10 GMT 2002

> Has anyone had success with a product or technique for registering computer
> before granting access University resources?  We spend a lot of time
> tracking down the owner of infected or compromised computers. I would like
> to be able to easily identify the owner/location of most machines on the
> network, including roaming student laptops.  How do others handle this
> situation.

We have implemented a registration process which users need to run before
they are granted full access to the network.  This process is used for all
student computers (residence halls, roaming laptops), and can be used by
faculty and staff as well.

Doug Nelson			nelson at msu.edu
Network Manager			Ph: (517) 353-2980
Computer Laboratory		http://www.msu.edu/~nelson/