[unisog] Computer Registration

Simon Kissler Simon.Kissler at valpo.edu
Fri Jun 7 00:11:38 GMT 2002

Actually a system that I am working on that will hopefully work for wired
ports (different story with wireless, but then that's its own hot pot
anyways around here) is to have the ports in student's rooms be on an
isolated vlan where all they can access is the registration server. When
they have registered (properly) the registration server (already existing
homegrown solution) will give them a dhcp/bootp address and move their
port into our resnet vlan. This has evolved from our initial plan of
disabling all resnet ports initially until a student registers the port.
How well it will work ... I should know by the end of summer (hopefully).

-Simon

Simon Kissler                                   Simon.Kissler at valpo.edu
UNIX Systems Administrator			Phone: (219) 464 6773
Electronic Information Services                 Fax  : (219) 464 5381
Valparaiso University
Kretzmann Hall B22
Valparaiso, IN 46383

         "Use what talent you possess: the woods would be very silent
            if no birds sang except those that sang best."
                                                      -Henry Van Dyke