[unisog] Computer Registration

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Fri Jun 7 20:52:53 GMT 2002

Answers inline again.

--On Friday, June 07, 2002 10:33 AM -0700 Ben Curran
<bdc1 at humboldt.edu> wrote:

> But another question:
> Do you staledate old MAC address entries?

Yes.

> And....If so, what method do you use to generate lists of
> "old" HW addresses? Do you  delete unused MAC entries
> that are x days old?

We use network monitoring software to detemine when switch
ports or certain MACs have become inactive.  We then flag
them in the hosts.master file, and if no activity is seen
for 90 days, we comment out the MAC from the hosts.master
file.  If we don't receive a compliant in the following 90
days, we remove the entry.

Again, we're moving to automating a lot of this (because,
as you know, it's a lot of work to keep up with.)

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Supervisor of Support Services
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member