[unisog] sendmail spam filtering

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Sun Jun 9 16:01:05 GMT 2002

On Fri, 07 Jun 2002 11:55:59 PDT, John Stauffacher <stauffacher at chapman.edu>  said:
> Nice idea, but it seems to me the overhead would kill some servers.
> Right now my mail servers process somewhere on the order of 17k messages
> a day, I couldn't see doing a lookup on each one to verify the sender

17K messages a day is nothing. ;)

The idea scales even worse if you're doing 300K deliveries/day into POP
mailboxes, 70K a day off campus, and another 70K/day in off-campus Listserv
traffic - and that was a slow Monday during the summer.  We're a bit busier
when students are around.  I know of at least one vendor we use that shipped an
"extensively field-tested patch" where "extensive" meant "survived 36 hours
live on VT's servers" ;)

(Getting back to unisog territory)  The biggest security hassle with all this
is logfile management - when you have a gigabyte of logs a day it gets
interesting trying to track a piece of mail with only partial information
(running the logfile through 'grep' 5 or 6 times till you find the right one
isn't incredibly feasible).
--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer