[unisog] Successful prosecution of system breakers

Anne Bennett anne at alcor.concordia.ca
Wed Jun 12 13:29:11 GMT 2002

Peter Van Epp <vanepp at sfu.ca> wrote:

> I'm aware of 4 other successful prosecutions in Canada
> in the last 10 or 12 years. [...]
> It was also as Pete said a huge amount of work.

We were part of a "successful" prosecution a few years ago; see the
report by me and my colleague Michael Assels, at:

  http://alcor.concordia.ca/~anne/security-report/

It was painful.  Having gone through the technical pain of tracing the
activity, gathering the evidence, and (at the time) educating the police,
we then had to wait while the trial of one of the attackers was delayed
again and again.  He *finally* pleaded guilty, and was sentenced to
probation and community service, despite the fact that he engaged in
unauthorized computer access, running Warez, and trading child porn.
The judge stated his youth (he was about 18) as a reason for leniency,
despite the fact that under questioning by the Crown prosecutor, the
attacker showed absolutely no remorse.

Was it worth it?  In a sense, yes, in that it sensitized our colleagues
and immediate bosses to computer security issues, and we gained some
experience, as well as some police contacts.  Would we prosecute again?
I doubt it.  :-(

Anne.
--
Ms. Anne Bennett, Senior Analyst, IITS, Concordia University, Montreal H3G 1M8
anne at alcor.concordia.ca                                        +1 514 848-7606