[unisog] attachment support

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Wed Jun 12 20:40:20 GMT 2002

We use PostFix, and we've been using regex for the last 18
months to bounce email with attachments that have "bad"
extensions (.exe, .vbs, etc.).  We provide our users with
instructions on how to bypass the blocks should they truly
need to forward a "bad" attachment (rename .TXT, send,
rename .EXE), and our users have adopted this system
easily.  I don't think you'll have too much of a problem
with it.

Sorry I can't help you with the spam problem, but then, who
can. :-(

--On Tuesday, June 11, 2002 4:23 PM -0400 Jim Ennis
<jim at pegasus.cc.ucf.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are dealing with a recent set of problems from a klez
> infected system sending itself to some internal lists
> using the list-owner email.  As part of our response
> (scramble,curse,scramble), I am considering modifying
> postfix (Solaris) on our mail servers to rename all
> attachments so that they will not automagically execute
> when our users merrily click them.
>
> Has anyone else gone through this change and what were
> the results/impact of modifying attachment names so that
> the users have to rename them to use them.  We will have
> to work up an education plan for our users to let them
> know about the change, but we are concerned with blocking
> future mailings using our resources (either a list or
> direct mail) to spread viruses.
>
> Also, we have some recent queries about blocking spam at
> the mailer level beyond the usual spam list checks.  Are
> there any recommended solutions (free or commercial) for
> Solaris with Postfix as the mailer software?

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Supervisor of Support Services
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member