[unisog] Ftp access to Web servers

Bruce Campbell bruce at engmail.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jun 17 15:38:02 GMT 2002

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Bob Ellsworth wrote:
> Hi : I'd like to ask this list how their institutions handle "ftp"
> access to their web servers.

My feeling is that the numerous ssh based tools are great, and suitable
for the 2 computers where a typical user spends most of their time,
ie the work computer and the home computer.

When people are off in another country, and need a file,  and
have to use someone elses computer, the tools they are
pretty much guaranteed to have are ftp and a web browswer.

The "right" way is the web.  The horde/gollem system looks good,
someone here wrote their own web copy in php, and we've added it to
our portal

  mywaterloo.ca

he plans to make it freely available.  But we are looking at
gollem also.

(ps. my vacation mail goes to /dev/null, if anyone is interested
 in our web based file copy, the developers are listed on the
 portal page somewhere, I think "contact nebula". )