[unisog] Tape backup solutions

David Foster foster at dim.ucsd.edu
Mon Jun 17 17:07:47 GMT 2002

Your prices may be close, but I think your shelf life
numbers are way off. Which do you think has a longer
MTBF, a disk spinning at 7200RPM or a tape sitting on a
shelf? And BTW, the MTBF for an AIT tape is 400,000 hours
(100% duty cycle).

Also, a mirror does not provide stateful backup, which is
critical in many/most environments. It's great if you want
to recover something you deleted, but not so great if you
corrupted some data files and need to get last week's version.

Dave Foster

> I think hard drives are cheap enough so you could just use NAS to mirror
> your stuff.  HDs are beginning to get competitive with tapes:
>
> Tapes		$75/40GB		slow, ~1 year shelf life
> HD		$100/40GB		fast, ~3 year shelf life
>

> --
> --Patrick Darden                Internetworking Manager
> --                              706.475.3312    darden at armc.org
> --                              Athens Regional Medical Center
>

> On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, William Diehl III wrote:
>
> > Greetings;
> >
> > We are considering replacing our current tape backup system with new
technology.

> > We are looking at AIT-2 and a Sony LIB-152/A2 which we can get for about
$5100 (15 slot, 1 drive).
> > Tapes seem to be about $75 each.
> >
> > This system will be used to backup a samba file server, webmail server,
oracle database server, etc with all systems running either Linux or Solaris.

> > Does anyone have a comment on AIT-2? Should we spend the extra money and go
with AIT-3? Or wait for IBM/Sony to release there new terabyte capacity tapes
(This month's PC Magazine)?
> > Of course funds are low...
> >
> > Any insight would be appreciated. We feel AIT-2 will more than suffice to
meet our needs now as far as capacity is concerned. But with decreasing storage
costs... the future is unclear.

> > William Diehl
> > Network Administrator
> > La Sierra University

   << All opinions expressed are mine, not the University's >>

   David Foster    National Center for Microscopy and Imaging Research
    Programmer/Analyst     University of California, San Diego
    dfoster at ucsd.edu       Department of Neuroscience, Mail 0608
    (858) 534-7968         http://ncmir.ucsd.edu/