[unisog] Tape backup solutions

Patrick Darden darden at armc.org
Mon Jun 17 17:26:30 GMT 2002

Tapes are prone to mechanical failure--much more so than hard drives.  If
you have a Storagetek archive or something similar, you can set it to
automatically duplicate tapes in case of failure.  You have to dedicate a
drive to "dupe" mode, and a section of storage; e.g. a 10TB unit might
become a 5TB unit, and backup backup tapes are also exchanged.  If you
don't do this, then a tape will fail on you sooner or later--probably
sooner.  This is a big argument against using HFS and tapes as your
primary long term storage solution, vs. a backup solution.

--
--Patrick Darden                Internetworking Manager
--                              706.475.3312    darden at armc.org
--                              Athens Regional Medical Center