[unisog] Firewall monitoring policies

Jim Dillon Jim.Dillon at cusys.edu
Tue Mar 5 18:40:28 GMT 2002

Russell,

Here are a few snap thoughts...

Sounds like a no win if you are left deciding the requirements for this
function.  That is a business decision based on risk analysis, determined
risk acceptance and materiality limits.  If the "Corporate Side" hasn't done
this, then I'd start educating them on how to do so.  It is unfortunate if
you are left to technical reasoning for making the decision, as this has no
bearing on the materiality of the risks faced by the "business."  I'd be
seeking some definition of intolerable risk and system "priorities" in order
to know how far to extend your monitoring policy.  If your institution can't
provide this then you will be left to hang when you design to some undefined
standard and that proves insufficient on some future date.  A prioritized
list of systems with some desired level of confidentiality, integrity, and
availability seems to be a pre-requisite to any decisions on your part.

Assuming the function is to protect the "enterprise" systems and systems of
record from the "wild wild west" of academic freedom, I guess I'd look for
some of the following.

1. Policies that define ownership, responsibilities, and rights to the
institution's data assets.  These provide you the guidance and reasoning for
protecting information assets.  If these aren't in place, your firewall
policy will probably be premature.  How can you protect assets that aren't
declared assets, have no determined value, or have no responsible caretakers
assigned?

2. Response and Forensics plans/policies.  What are you going to do when you
actually detect something with the firewall?  Can you react quickly?  What
things require forensics responses?  Building a policy without a
response/forensics plan and response priority is likely to be far less
effective than desired.  Note that without 1 above your forensics plan is
undermined as well, as you give yourself no basis for actions required to
protect your assets.  I would think your firewall monitoring would be to
identify events requiring a response.

If these two items aren't also on the table, you are missing a bit of
relevant info on creating your "firewall" procedures.  I'd push for them,
then you can make business directed decisions about how far to take managing
your firewall, not just technical decisions.

It seems to me (at least in the interim) your job should be to define what
various levels of "firewall management" will do for the systems behind the
firewall.  This should map to risk assessment/determination results, and
identify a cost.  You get to translate the technical requirements for
achieving the desired risk mitigation.  Don't be suckered into determining
what "desired risk mitigation" is, just be available to help translate the
technical details required to achieve it.  Else you will be on the receiving
end of the ball rolling downhill when an unexpected boo boo arises and the
responsible parties scramble for cover.

Push for acceptance of the standard "least privileges" policy at least.  It
is a basis to operate under if you can't get any timely action on a risk
assessment.

I haven't attached such policies/risk assessments for your examination.
Some of these things are in the process of being developed and reworked
here, so I can't be of much practical help at this point.  California's
system seemed to have some good basis policies, but I don't recall whether
they included references to risk/objective based decisions.

Quick thoughts - I hope not too hurriedly spoken or too disorganized,

Jim

Jim Dillon, CISA
IT Audit Manager
jim.dillon at cusys.edu