[unisog] Remote Desktop Tech Support from Help Desks

Daniel G. Epstein depstein at uchicago.edu
Tue Mar 12 17:00:03 GMT 2002

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 08:52:37AM +0000, Martin Sapsed wrote:
> Jeff Bollinger wrote:
> >Is anyone using a Remote Desktop tool at their help desks?  I know that
> >Win XP has this functionality built in. Just curious if anyone is using
> >this, and how they have secured it, developed policy, etc.
>
> We use VNC (http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/) - the price was right! The
> way we use it for support is that the helpdesk person runs it with the
> listen option and then the "customer" runs a script which asks for the name
> of the helpdesk PC (and prompts them to ask the helpdesk person for it!)
> and then runs WinVNC and tells it to connect to the listener. That way, it
> isn't running all the time on the customer machine - only when needed - and
> nobody needs to use the passwords in VNC.
>
> It's probably not as elegant a solution as something more expensive but as
> a freeby it's pretty good. There are quite a few platforms covered too.

It sounds cool to me, do you tunnel through SSH or some other
encryption? On a related tangent, have any of you found a usable RDP
client for UNIX which would be able to talk to the W2K version of
Terminal Services?

--

A boast of "I have been's,"  | Daniel G. Epstein
quoted from foolscap tomes,  | Network Security Officer,

For PGP key see http://security.uchicago.edu/centerinfo/pgpkeys.shtml