[unisog] Major campus-wide scans at UNC

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Fri Mar 1 20:53:04 GMT 2002

> Has anyone else seen a major scan coming across their networks on a
> *large* number of ports?  We're seeing ports

<snip>

	I looked for the last three days or so and the volume of scans does
seem to be up (they are normally suppressed as long as they are unsuccessful)
but it appears to be more of the usual suspects (partial scans which I think
are crafted to avoid some of the commercial IDS systems) rather than scans
of our entire address space. We have a B and a bunch of Cs in various blocks
so I get a partial sampling across different areas of the address space.