Privacy Obligations

Bill Martin bmartin at luc.edu
Tue Mar 5 23:43:47 GMT 2002

I'm sure everyone has heard by now, Microsoft's Media Player 7.x tracks media files that have been played. MS claims that they do no retrieve this data, but the fact that they are doing it raised some concern.

With the recent actions of  Microsoft (more specifically, one of their programmers according to a MS spokesman) and their attempts to track media files, I'm curious as to what other institutions are going when it comes to making statements about privacy.

A few days ago, there was a thread about OpenSource software, and although that thread was interesting, I'm not sure it accounts for what our (IT/IS staff in general) obligation is when it comes to educating and informing our clients/users about privacy. I realize that organizations are very individualistic when it comes to security and privacy polices, but, as I said,  I'm curious to see how other organizations have handled this, and if their policies hold up to MS' (or any vendor/authors) lack of integrity and lack of disclosure.

Thanks

-Bill Martin-
Sr. Systems Analyst
Loyola University Chicago