[unisog] user (student) authentication infrastructure

Jordan K Wiens jwiens at nersp.nerdc.ufl.edu
Wed Mar 6 15:12:22 GMT 2002

Here at UF, all students, faculty, and staff have a common login/password
(called gatorlink) that is their authentication method for such access
points.  A system was developed on campus that is essentially a DMZ network
area that only allows access through it via a server that is set up to
authenticate students against that login information.

Any web session attempted once connected to these walkups is automatically
redirected to the authentication server where a whole is punched through
the firewall specifically for that machine.  I've heard of commercial
products that do the same thing, but none were available when we
investigated the issue orginally. Thankfully the method was set up for
walkup ethernet ports before we even deployed wireless, allowing easy
integration with the wireless.

More information is available here:
http://micro.circa.ufl.edu/walkup/index.shtml

--