[unisog] Security and packet shaping

Steve Bernard sbernard at gmu.edu
Thu Mar 14 18:01:20 GMT 2002

Mike,

I have implemented and been managing our PacketShapers for a couple of years
now. In that time I have used the devices to curtail network abuses on
several occasions with mixed results. Over time the accuracy of the shaping
engine has gotten better as have the protocol signatures. I have had the
best results when doing things like minimizing bandwidth saturation DoS
attacks, by limiting connections and/or bandwidth, and preventing
straight-forward URL based attacks like CodeRed, although some still slip
by. On the other hand, I have had packets which should be caught by deny
rules slip by and haven't thoroughly tested the fragment reassembly
capabilities. Also, the lack of regular expressions makes it impossible to
create powerful URL matching rules. If you have used the devices in large,
rather open, environments then you have no doubt seen the large amounts of
traffic that sometimes fall into the 'default' class despite having matching
rules higher up the tree. Once the flows are fully recognized the percentage
of traffic that gets by the established classes is very minimal, typically
P2P, but I see a lot that is simply classified as "TCP" or "ICMP". It is
necessary for several packets of a given flow to pass through the device
before it can accurately classify the flow. Therefore, distributed, gradual,
or perhaps fragmented attacks may not be recognized properly, if at all. The
rules also don't let you stipulate granular controls on packets, such as
flags, options, etc. It does read and write TOS/COS bits but those aren't
really security related.

The reporting tools are not geared towards being a security device although
it can augment other tools. I have found it useful when doing security
assessments. You can just drop it inline and quickly get a pretty good idea
of how much of what is going where from who. It also decodes many more
protocols and applications than any of the sniffers that I've used.

I suppose I would say that if the device was 100% accurate and provided more
granular packet controls then it would be a more useful network security
tool but, it isn't so wouldn't bet all my chips on it.

I'll let you know if I think of anything else,

Steve