[unisog] Mail Gateway Anti-Virus Products

Deanne Palmer dpalmer at skidmore.edu
Wed Mar 27 19:33:00 GMT 2002

Gary Flynn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd be interested in hearing from people doing anti-virus scanning
> on their mail gateways/servers. In particular:
>
> 1) What product are you using and on what server/gateway platform?
> 2) How effective has it been?
> 3) How stable has it been?
> 4) How much did it affect mail gateway/server performance?
> 5) The approximate pricing.
>
> thanks,
> --
> Gary Flynn
> Security Engineer - Technical Services
> James Madison University
>
> Please R.U.N.S.A.F.E.
> http://www.jmu.edu/computing/runsafe

We've had great success with Julian Field's Mailscanner  -
http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner.
1) MailScanner on Solaris 8/Sun E250 with sendmail and Sophos
Anti-virus.
2)  Very effective.   It's cut down tremendously on mail viruses -
especially within the student population.  Back in Nov right after we
installed MailScanner we were catching thousands of viruses the first
few days.  Now, it's unusual to see more than 50.
3) Very stable.
4) Slight delay in mail due to anti-virus scanning.  Users seem to feel
it's worth it.
5) MailScanner is free.  Cost for Sophos is dependent on no. of users.
Our contract includes the Unix server portion which MailScanner uses and
desktop anti-virus for the entire campus.

If you want more specifics, be glad to talk with you off-line.
                                           - Deanne Palmer

Deanne Palmer               dpalmer at skidmore.edu
CITS Systems Administrator
Skidmore College