[unisog] Mail Gateway Anti-Virus Products

Steve Bernard sbernard at gmu.edu
Wed Mar 27 23:11:00 GMT 2002

We have recently decided to use several McAfee WebShield e500 devices to
protect our central mail servers. During our evaluation period we found the
device to be effective and it didn't produce any noticeable latencies or
errors. We are only using the SMTP functionality right now but it supports
HTTP, POP3, and FTP also. One issue with this is that the device acts as a
proxy, which may be difficult to implement in some environments or with
particular protocols. These are network appliances so they don't affect the
performance of our mail servers in the ways that a host based system will. I
don't have pricing with me right now but, I can get it to you offline if you
are interested.

More detail: http://www.mcafeeb2b.com/products/webshield-eapp500/default.asp

Regards,

Steve Bernard