[unisog] Mail Gateway Anti-Virus Products

John K Lerchey lerchey at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Mar 28 15:06:02 GMT 2002

Hi Wayne (et al),

I've been working with groups on our campus, most recently the Faculty
Senate about this whole privacy issue.  The latest revision states that
files and electronic mail are private, and may not be examined except
under some very specific circumstances.  However, there is a definition
for examined which reads: "the contents of the data read by a person".

Anti-virus scanners are not "persons", and therefor can be used with
impunity.  Of course, we haven't set one up yet on our mail servers...
that's  a project for the coming year.  :)

John K. Lerchey
Computer and Network Security Coordinator
Computing Services
Carnegie Mellon University