[unisog] Slashdot's UCSB Article

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Oct 1 16:18:51 GMT 2002

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002 15:09:25 MDT, Jim Dillon said:

> curiosity.  I'm certainly more ignorant than most on this list, but couldn't
> a well designed group policy be enforced for those that do bring W2K to
> campus to ensure good configurations?  This is a question out of ignorance,

This contains the unwritten assumption that the machine in question is a
member of a domain.  Given that in a ResNet environment, the machine in question
is almost certainly the property of the student, not the university, it's
unclear how you would be able to say "this machine will be administered THIS
way" as a condition of connecting to the network.  That would be political
suicide even worse than "You're not allowed to run it here" - it would be "if
you want to run it, you have to give us full administrative access to the box".

This isn't a problem in the corporate environment, where the organization
is the owner of the hardware - but the college doesn't own the resnet machines.

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer