[unisog] Slashdot's UCSB Article

Gary Flynn flynngn at jmu.edu
Tue Oct 1 18:16:32 GMT 2002

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Sep 2002 15:09:25 MDT, Jim Dillon said:
>
> > curiosity.  I'm certainly more ignorant than most on this list, but couldn't
> > a well designed group policy be enforced for those that do bring W2K to
> > campus to ensure good configurations?  This is a question out of ignorance,
>
> This contains the unwritten assumption that the machine in question is a
> member of a domain.  Given that in a ResNet environment, the machine in question
> is almost certainly the property of the student, not the university, it's
> unclear how you would be able to say "this machine will be administered THIS
> way" as a condition of connecting to the network.

Why not? Its the organization's network. AUPs regularly put constraints
on the operation of a computer and behavior of its operator. Why shouldn't
connection be based on the application of a certain registry configuration
(which is really all a policy is)?

> This isn't a problem in the corporate environment, where the organization
> is the owner of the hardware - but the college doesn't own the resnet machines.

But they own the network.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer - Technical Services