[unisog] Posting of Bandwidth Hogs

Stan Horwitz stan at temple.edu
Sat Oct 12 01:27:40 GMT 2002

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Mary M. Chaddock wrote:

> We are considering the use of peer presure to help regulate the bandwidth
> usage.
>
> Are any universitiies posting "Top Bandwidth Hog" lists? If so are, how
> are you doing it? What information to you provide? Who has access to
> it?
>
> Have you noticed results? What do the students think of this?

How do you define a bandwidth hog? We just shut off the port of
anyone (faculty, student, etc.) who is abusing his or her network
priviledges. In most cases, the abuse is the result of the person's
computer being hacked and used without permission to run an IRC,
warez site, share out video files, etc.